Wednesday, November 7, 2007

171. HYMNS FOR THE SORTA-COMMITTED, OR, ONWARD CHRISTIAN RESERVISTS

From the Archives

(November 2005) And now is the time to post Muhammed Ali’s famous quote outlining why he refused to serve in Vietnam:
Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No, I'm not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end.

I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality.... If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people, they wouldn't have to draft me, I'd join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I'll go to jail, so what? We've been in jail for 400 years.

Seeing a picture of a New Orleans resident of African descent holding up an anti-war protest sign that read No Iraqi ever left me to die on a roof. (which references Ali’s No Vietnamese ever called me “nigger") is a good reminder of why this sentiment is still relevant.

So, turns out John Edwards focused on an issue that could actually weaken the Republican Party, especially because he was fortunate enough (well) to have a hurricane showcase his cause. Our TV screens have been filled with evidence of just how the 37 million impoverished Americans live while our president gives tax cuts to the super rich, and let’s hope that shows up at the polls.

Americans are suddenly aware of poverty again and embarrassed by the fact that our government can’t (or won't) take care of its own struggling citizens

(Well, actually, it’s more accurate to say that our government stalks the poor in order to reward the wealthy in a kind of reverse Robin Hoodism.)

Meanwhile, I’ve had Baptist hymns whispering in my skull all day after attending a co-worker’s mother’s funeral and so am pasting some sarcastic new hymn titles below. They’re funny, especially if you grew up with the Broadman hymnal:

HYMNS FOR THE SORTA-COMMITTED
• I Surrender Some
• There Shall Be Sprinkles of Blessings
• Fill My Spoon, Lord
• Take My Life and Let Me Be
• It is My Secret What God Can Do
• There are Scattered Clouds in My Soul Today
• Just as I Pretend to Be
• My Hope is Built On Somewhat Less
• It Is Fairly Well With My Soul
• When the Saints Go Sneaking In
• Onward Christian Reserves

READING: Jeanette Winterson’s Lighthousekeeping
SANG IN SHOWER: “Fill My Cup Lord” (sigh)
BEST OF SPAM: Be the "biggest" of all of your friends! (Oh, is that the one you want me to use tonight dear?)

No comments: